Treatment based on the latest brain and behavior research
We provide cutting edge, science-backed Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Exposure Response Prevention (ERP) to help teens (ages 14 and up) and adults with anxiety due to:
- Anxiety Disorders (e.g., phobias, panic attacks)
- Sensory Processing Disorder
- Chronic illness
- Life events (e.g., birth, death, loss)
- Care giver stress
We also work on issues that come along with anxiety like depression, over spending, burn out at home and at work, health issues (e.g., heart palpitations, headaches, muscle pain), trouble falling or staying asleep, tension at home, fights with friends and loved ones, and trouble concentrating and performing at school or work.
CBT and learning to manage anxiety aren’t easy. Learning to manage OCD is especially challenging. If CBT was easy, there would only be one book and one therapist. Everyone would buy the one book, see the one therapist, and be completely cured.
If done incorrectly, CBT can actually make you worse. This is especially true for OCD.
During your initial 3-4 sessions, as well as throughout your treatment process, we'll get information on factors that will impact your success like:
- How do you solve problems?
- What matters to you? What do you value?
- When stressed, do you binge on carbs and Neflix to avoid the issue or start yelling and insulting people?
- What keeps you going when times are tough?
- How do you stay focused when you feel like giving up?
- What are some of the core beliefs you have about yourself and your life?
- How do you protect yourself when you're angry or stressed? Do you pull back or go seeking reassurance and comfort?
- How you bounce back after a setback?
- Do you let yourself off the hook for mistakes or relentlessly bash yourself?
- What are your relationships like? Do they help and add or do they bring you down?
You will get on-going feedback regarding these factors so that you can understand how they impact your choices and behaviors.
Then we combine CBT with this information so you can learn to deal with complications, set backs, and flare ups that are a usual part of the process. This means that once you’ve made the progress you want, you can stay better for longer.
If you don’t understand these key factors, your chances of recovering from complications or a set back are slim to none.
You’ll go back to your automatic responses the next time you have to deal with a stressful situation or serious life challenge.
- Individual psychotherapy: We offer individual therapy to teens and adults. We involve family members as needed, especially with teens.
- Phone and virtual sessions: This is ideal for people who do not live near an anxiety or OCD specialist, students away at school, professionals who travel frequently, parents with tight schedules, prominent members of the community, and people who generally prefer the flexibility and privacy of this approach. Click here to learn more.
- Family member consultations: We meet and speak with family members who are looking for more information about how to support a loved one struggling with mental health issues. These sessions end with specific recommendations.
- Parent/spouse/family member coaching: Loving someone with severe anxiety or OCD is difficult. You will learn about your loved one’s struggles and fears so that you can better support and challenge them. You will also need to learn how to set limits, take care of yourself, and have difficult conversations in a helpful way.
- Consultations with schools and universities for educational planning (e.g., 504, IEP):> We work with public and private high schools as well as top universities nationally to create plans that support students struggling with anxiety and depression.
- Training for the community, schools, and other professionals: We offer training and workshops to parents, schools, mental health and medical professionals on anxiety, it’s impacts across all areas of life, causes and symptoms, helpful accommodations, and important forms of support.
- Entrepreneur and executive coaching: We coach successful, driven business people who are struggling with anxiety, overthinking, decision making, and leadership and are concerned about the impact this can have on their long term success, lifestyle, and finances.
The real, visible benefits you will get as a result of working with us:
- Problem Solving: You'll work with someone totally focused on helping you solve the problems that are causing the most stress in your life right now.
- New Understanding: You'll gain a deep understanding of your symptoms, triggers, and responses. Understanding exactly what you are working with makes it less scary.
- Tools and Strategies: You'll learn research proven techniques which will help you change how you think about and respond to overwhelming and scary thoughts and feelings.
- Confidence in your ability to handle scary and overwhelming thoughts and feelings: By understanding what you're dealing with and using tools that help you feel better, you'll believe in yourself and your ability to cope. You'll realize that you are bigger than the anxiety, guilt, and sadness, not at the mercy of them.
Combined, these put you in the driver’s seat. You can make choices from a position of strength instead of feeling trapped and desperate.